If you you are working on a Mac and you are looking for descent project management software checkout the following article which briefly reviews the following project management tools for your Mac.
Merlin is one of the leading project management tools for Mac OS X. The software has been developed by Project Wizards and is renowned for its collaboration options.
Merlin Software Features
Project management: projects can be planned and managed to the very last details. All the projects are outlined in the form of a hierarchy, and each aspect of the project has its own place on the hierarchy. The tool also allows you to assign subdivisions to each aspect.
Resource Management: All the workload assigned to each member of the team, along with all the allocated resources, are calculated and represented in the form of bar graphs.
Other features of Merlin include
- Free trial
- To do list
- Graphs, charts
- Network friendliness
Advantages of Merlin
- Extremely enhanced collaboration options.
- Projects can be planned and managed to the very last detail.
- The software shows utilization of resources so that resource and work allocation becomes easy.
- Tutorials are available for each feature, and the features are easy to use for users of all levels.
- Project Wizard also offers a two day workshop so that users can get familiar with all the features on Merlin.
Disadvantages of Merlin
- In order to create reports, users need basic knowledge of XSLT.
MS Project was developed by Microsoft in 1984 and the tool has evolved over the last 28 years.
MS Project Software Features
Features of the latest version of MS project include:
Improved Interface: Navigation and use of the project management tool has been made easy.
Auto Complete: The auto complete feature has been installed so filling up repetitive data is easy.
Timeline View: This feature has been added to easily view the project schedule and progress in graphical form.
Filters: New filters can be applied for quick data mining.
Advantages of MS Project
1. All sorts of charts and graphs have been included over the years.
2. Reliable online support is available.
3. No internet connection required.
4. Can be easily integrated with other MS programs.
5. Caters to a wide range of project managers and is ideal for large organizations.
Disadvantages of MS Project
1. Needs a certain level of expertise to use. Not suitable for novice users.
2. Lack of collaboration options. However, in the latest version Microsoft has tried to resolve this issue by introducing the connected teams feature.
3. It is a desktop program that can only run on a MS compatible PC.
Ever since Techno-Grafik software introduced iTaskX, it has been one of the top project management tools for Mac OS X. One of its biggest advantages is that it is compatible with MS Project, so in a way it brings together the best of both worlds.
Features of iTaskX
Important iTaskX features include timescale, charts and graphs, and calendars. It also has the capability to calculate cost accruals, slack time, and over time, and include these factors in the projected outcome of the project.
Advantages of iTaskX
1. No complexity or overload. Uses low amount of memory so other applications can be run simultaneously with it. Multiple tasks can be split within the software as well.
2. Compatible with MS Project.
3. Comes with a movie guide with video tutorials.
4. Supports file formats such as MPP, XML, TXT and CVS.
5. The interface is user friendly, and can be customized.
Disadvantages of iTaskX
1. The project view faces are very similar to the competitors, which leaves a negative impression on the user.
2. Primarily focuses on the big picture, which might be a disadvantage for some users.
Develop by AEC Software; FastTrack Schedule is one of the most highly recommended project management tools in the market today. The software is especially effective when it comes to large projects with great resources and a large team.
Features of FastTrack Schedule
Features include customizable interface, reports, charts, and graphs. Furthermore, media can be imported, and project progress can be monitored easily, along with application of dozens of filters. The Software is available for both Mac OS X and Windows.
Some of the other features include local storage of preferences, communication tools, and sharing tools.
Advantages of FastTrack Schedule
1. Assembling your resources is very easy with the resource overview.
2. A variety of tools is available along with multiple formats of reports.
3. Collaboration is easy, as reports can shared between different team members.
4. Small details and the larger pictures are equally covered,
5. Tutorials, guides, and customer support are easily available.
6. Integrates some of the features of the host operating system.
Disadvantages of FastTrack Schedule
1. Aimed at bigger projects at organizational level. Small clients such as entrepreneurs may not find it the ideal solution.
2. Collaboration between team members is no0t as effective as some of the competitors.
Omniplan is a popular project management application developed by The Omni Group. It is available for $49.99 from the App Store, and is highly cost effective when compared to other similar software.
Features of Omniplan
Omniplan has pretty much all the standard features of project management applications. It supports all sorts of charts and graphs, and can generate reports in various formats. Projects can be planned from scratch and managed until completion simply by using this software solution.
Some of the newly introduced prominent features include synchronization with a server through the internet, visual timeline, and change tracking.
Advantages of Omniplan
1. Support MS Project files. Files can be exported to and imported from MS Project.
2. Projects can be exported into a variety of formats.
3. Comes with a tutorial. Tutorials are also available in PDF and video formats.
4. Can be used to plan and manage small scale projects such as parties as well as large scale business projects.
5. Highly customizable and easy to use.
6. Online customer support is easily available.
Disadvantages of Omniplan
1. Not many collaboration features as compared to its competitors.
2. Large scale projects involving multiple team members are hard to manage through this software due to the limited collaboration options.
Projector has been developed by App4Mac. It is a specialized solution for the individual use of projector managers. However, it can be integrated with email accounts so that the project manager can communicate with the team. The software is currently available at $29.99.
Features of Projector
Some of the prominent features of Projector include images, Gantt charts, project timelines, reports, and several other planning and tracking tools. All the features have been designed in such a way that the software facilitates the project and doesn’t consume any additional time and effort from the manager.
Advantages of Projector
1. Data can be input and retrieved very easily.
2. Images can be assigned with valuable pieces of information.
3. Every aspect of the project is covered including human and material resources, deadlines, milestones etc.
4. Easy to use, the interface has been designed in such a way that it doesn’t take an expert to use it.
5. Online support is easily available at the official website.
Disadvantages of Projector
- Apart from email integration, there are very few collaboration options. This software is more for the use of the manager than the team.
An ideal product for brainstorming, exploration of ideas and gathering information, Curio by Zengobi is suitable for thinkers trying to come up with new ideas.
- Freeform Idea Spaces: supports images, PDF files, Google Docs, and live web views.
- Styles and Templates (Bundled, Personal & Network): Several idea space templates and project templates are available in this feature along with stencils to create your own styles.
- Meta Data and Task Management: You can prioritize your tasks and search across meta data through this feature.
- Organizational Features: Ideas can be grouped and categorized in the hierarchical form through organizational features.
- Importing: Anything can be searched for and dragged into your idea cloud through importing.
- Exporting: files can be saved and exported in HTML, PDF, JPG and several other formats.
- Helpers: The helper features are available for standard and professional versions and allow for screen capture, audio and video recording and mini and full screen modes along with many others.
- It focuses on mind mapping, i.e. use of charts, lists and clusters to organize your thoughts.
- It is easy to use, the tools and features are easy to understand.
- There is a walkthrough template which introduces you to all the features.
- Caters to thinkers, helps them put their thoughts in order.
- Curio is all about ideas and their feasibility, it helps determine the validity and effectiveness of
- Lack of collaboration options.
- Only material sources can be managed.
- Focused on individuals, not suitable to manage a team project.
Available on all major platforms, PlanningForce by Intelligent Software Company provides a wide range of features to plan and manage projects.
The features available on PlanningForce can be categorized in six major categories. Each category has its own sets of available tools.
- Resource Management
- Program Management
- Project Management
- Output and Analysis
- Available in three different packages titled Express Planner, Portfolio Planner and Program Manager. These packages cater to individuals with different levels of requirements.
- The tools support increased collaboration between departments and team members.
- Risks can be identified and can be included in projections and calculations.
- All projects and resources can be run at once. No need for separate files.
- Data regarding any changes during the project can be used as input. The software immediately recommends changes in schedule accordingly.
- The Portfolio Planner and Program Manager packages are much more expensive than their competitive products.
- The official website doesn’t have an FAQ section, however, there is a request information option through which site representatives can be contacted.
RationalPlan is available in single project and multi project packages. RationalPlan also offers Project Viewer which is free to download and completes the project management package.
Some of the major RationalPlan features include:
- Project reports
- Undo/Redo Actions
- Project Management for single and multi project
- Collaboration and communication tools
- Task management
- Gantt Charts
- Caters to teams and project managers alike.
- Caters to a wide range of industries including software, construction, and engineering.
- Data at any level of the project can be edited. New reports are generated based on the new data. The feature is called “what if” feature.
- Available on all major platforms including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Step by step tutorial is available for beginners.
- Users not using the RationalPlan server are at a major disadvantage.