Best Project Management Software & Tools for Mac
The Mac operating system continues to gain market share of the desktop operating system in a slow but steady climb over the years. The ability of well-designed Mac computer models to operate web-based applications has now made it a familiar business work desktop for project management.
Web designers, creatives, and developers who are also Mac users see the value and benefits of using project management software for Mac, especially web-based apps. Today’s online project management tools work across platforms, with some solutions providing native applications for MacOS, iOS, Windows, or Android. Project tools for Mac have two major benefits:
- It organizes their work, clients, resources, and schedules.
- It enables them to plan and breakdown projects into clear, manageable tasks.
The Top 10 Project Management Software for Mac
Project professionals who work on and need project management software for Mac can check the brief reviews below for the following PM tools. These solutions have core project management features and additional functionality on top of project planning and task management.
monday.com is a team management platform to plan projects, organize work, and track its progress. It is a visual collaborative platform with an interface that is user-friendly and intuitive. Getting your team up and running takes only a few minutes. monday.com supports major browsers and has a Mac and Windows desktop app. The latest project management Mac desktop version is v.1.0.3 with stability improvements and other fixes.
monday.com Software Features
- Available templates: Start working quickly and choose from a variety of use cases
- Intuitive interface: User-friendly, with customizable components
- Collaboration and organization tools: It has built-in communication and document management tools
- Multiple views: Use your preferred view for project planning and task tracking
Advantages of monday.com
- Easy to start with and use to quickly get the team on board.
- Customizable software to fit your requirements and processes.
- One central tool to communicate, collaborate, and manage files.
- More views give you different perspectives, so you can see both the big picture and the small details.
- monday.com supports best practices to promote transparency, accountability, and efficiency.
Smartsheet is a web-based project management and collaboration tool in a simple and familiar spreadsheet interface. It is easy to use and very flexible, but is also a business-grade application that has increased team productivity in tens of thousands of companies and organizations around the globe.
Smartsheet Software Features
- Multiple views: Team availability, timelines, Gantt chart, calendar, card view
- Automated tools: Alerts, email reminders, and web forms
- Familiar interface: Spreadsheet-like UI does not have steep learning curve
- Easy to start: Pre-built templates help jump-start different types of projects
Advantages of Smartsheet
- A familiar interface will not require time for employee training, but allows them to hit the ground running.
- SaaS pricing model is not capital intensive, and it’s easy to scale when growing in company size.
- Online collaboration and integration makes it easy to communicate and partner with others.
- Free email support and priority phone support for enterprise customers.
- Free 30-day trial period.
Wrike is an online project management software that helps users manage their projects from initial request to reporting end results. It is an end-to-end solution that enables managers to create and assign tasks, create workflows, track progress visually, coordinate resources, and generate reports. Team members also get a clear view of priorities, track time, and access all tasks and documents with the ability to edit, upload, and share project documents.
Wrike Software Features
- Task, project and people management: Create projects from tasks, assign resources from tasks, and receive instant and direct communication with collaboration tools such as @mentions.
- Email integration, custom workflows: Users can work and participate from their email inbox and sync all updates. They can add custom fields and configure dashboards for customized views.
- Native mobile apps, third-party integrations: Wrike has native iOS and Android apps for working away from office. It integrates with other apps that enable teams to extend functionality and get all types of work done with multiple tools, including an API.
Advantages of Wrike
- Helps project teams quickly set priorities and align teams with tools like Gantt chart with critical path, workload views, and real-time status updates.
- Automated forms, proofing, and approval help people across the organization coordinate smoothly and reduce rework.
- User roles and share permissions ensure data integrity while reducing duplication and redundancy.
- The web-based application provides real-time visibility for all users just by accessing a central site. The centralized system also ensures clarity and accountability.
ProjectManager.com features powerful online project management, time-tracking, and collaboration tools for managers and their teams. With real-time visibility, managers can ensure that their projects and teams are always on track. Also, team members find useful the ability to update their timesheets and tasks anytime, anywhere. Teams and companies in over 100 countries such as NASA, Ralph Lauren, and Volvo rely on ProjectManager.com.
ProjectManager.com Software Features
- Agile methodologies
- Client portal
- Gantt chart
- Kanban board
- Collaboration tools
- Idea management
#5 Microsoft Project Online
MS Project was developed by Microsoft in 1984 and the tool has evolved over the last 3 decades. The latest version is Project 2019.
MS Project Software Features
- Improved interface: Navigation and use of the project management tool has been made easy.
- Auto complete: Filling up of repetitive data has become effortless.
- Timeline view: Users can easily view the project schedule and progress in graphical form.
- Filters: New filters can be applied for quick data mining.
Advantages of MS Project
- All sorts of charts and graphs have been included over the years.
- Reliable online support is available.
- No internet connection is required.
- Can be easily integrated with other MS programs.
- Caters to a wide range of project managers and is ideal for large organizations.
Merlin is one of the leading project management tools for Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Project Wizards developed the software known for its collaboration features. Merlin products include Merlin Project for the mobile project manager, and Merlin Project Express, a lighter version for PM newcomers and users with a small budget.
Merlin Software Features
- Project management: Projects can be planned and managed to the very last detail. All projects are outlined in the form of a hierarchy, and each aspect of the project has its own place on the hierarchy. It is also useful for agile project management with Kanban boards. Users can subscribe to the tool yearly. Merlin Project version 7.1.3 is the latest version, compatible with macOS 10.11.16 at the minimum.
- Resource Management: All the workload assigned to each member of the team, along with all the allocated resources, are calculated and represented in the form of bar graphs. In the utilization view, users can see due tasks for each employee as well as critical overloads.
Other features of Merlin include:
- Full 30 days free trial
- To do list, Kanban, grouping, utilization view
- Graphs, charts, new style editor
- Network friendliness, clean modern design
Advantages of Merlin
- Merlin Project can import and export project data, integrates with many applications, and also connects with other apps through AppleScript.
- Projects can be planned and managed to the very last detail.
- The software shows utilization of resources so that resource and work allocation becomes easy.
- Tutorials are available for each feature, and the features are easy to use for users of all levels.
- Project Wizard also offers workshops for users to become familiar with all the features on Merlin.
OmniPlan is a Mac project management software for professionals developed by The Omni Group. It lets users monitor intervals, track efforts, customize resources, and improve project processes continuously.
Omniplan Software Features
Omniplan has all the standard features of a project management application:
- Charts and graphs: It supports all sorts of charts and graphs, and can generate reports in various formats.
- Start from scratch: Projects can be planned from scratch and managed until completion simply by using this software solution.
- Other features: Project assistant, recurring and manually scheduled tasks, interval cost, and manual tracking are other included features. It also has Applock for iOS, filtering, violation resolution, leveling, split tasks, critical path, multiple baselines, network diagrams, and export features.
Advantages of OmniPlan
- Supports MS Project files. Files can be exported to and imported from MS Project.
- Projects can be exported into a variety of formats.
- Comes with a tutorial. Tutorials are also available in PDF and video formats.
- Can be used to plan and manage small scale projects such as parties as well as large scale business projects.
- Highly customizable and easy to use.
- Online customer support is easily available.
#8 FastTrack Schedule
Developed by AEC Software, FastTrack Schedule is a highly recommended project management tool in the market today. The software is especially effective when it comes to large projects with a great number of resources and a large team. It is a project tool Mac users can use to manage projects easily, whether new or experienced project managers.
FastTrack Schedule Software Features
- Intuitive interface: Version 10.2 offers a new and intuitive Mac interface.
- New calendars: It has Base calendars, work calendars, effort-driven scheduling, image columns, assignment contouring, and work usage inspector.
- More controls: It also has new bar styles and gradients, a Getting Started screen, address book integration, enhanced resource form, and an iMedia browser.
- Multi-platform: FastTrack offers software that is available for both Mac OS X and Windows.
- Other features: Local storage of preferences, communication tools, and sharing tools.
Advantages of FastTrack Schedule
- Assembling your resources is very easy with the resource overview.
- A variety of tools is available along with multiple formats of reports.
- Small details and the larger pictures are equally covered,
- Tutorials, guides, and customer support are easily available.
- Integrates some of the features of the host operating system.
Projector is a professional services automation software (PSA) with project management features. It is an operational platform that enables teams to streamline delivery and enhance resource utilization. The software provides teams real-time visibility to drive growth for their business. Projector runs on Mac line of computers with version 10.14 at the minimum, with an anticipated update to support the latest Apple hardware based on the M1 chips.
Projector Software Features
- Integrated modules: Projector integrates its project management module seamlessly with its project accounting, resource scheduling, and advanced analytics modules.
- End-to-end PM solution: Users are provided the framework and tools to plan, track, and deliver projects successfully. It has advanced task planning and tracking, flexible, detailed budgeting, and project workspaces.
Advantages of Projector
- Data can be input and retrieved very easily.
- Images can be assigned with valuable pieces of information.
- Every aspect of the project is covered including human and material resources, deadlines, and milestones.
- Easy to use; the interface has been designed in such a way that it doesn’t take an expert to use it.
- Online support is easily available at the official website.
RationalPlan is a multi-project planning and management software. Project managers and teams can create consistent project plans, allocate resources, and track work progress following PMBOK guidelines using the software. It is a unified solution for project and portfolio management, resource management, and team collaboration. On-premise products run on different platforms including desktops with Mac OS X 10.6 or lower. It also offers Project Viewer, which is free to download and completes the project management package.
RationPlan Software Features
Some of the major RationalPlan features include:
- Project reports
- Undo/redo actions
- Project management for single and multi project
- Collaboration and communication tools
- Task management
- Gantt charts
Advantages of RationalPlan
- Caters to teams and project managers alike.
- Caters to a wide range of industries including software, construction, and engineering.
- Available on all major platforms including Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Step by step tutorial is available for beginners.
Project management tools enable business to organize, track, and complete projects successfully. Web-based PM tools now offer many advantages, including a centralized real-time information for all members across functions, locations, and time zones, thereby providing an accurate, up-to-date picture of a project’s overall progress. On-premise solutions can be ideal in certain situations where security and confidentiality are critical. And as shown in this list, Mac users have several options to choose from for their personal and team project management and collaboration software.