Construction project management (CPM) is a specific application of PM discipline for construction project types that include agricultural, residential, commercial, institutional, industrial, heavy civil and environmental. The construction project manager specifies objectives and plans, maximizes resource efficiency, implements various operations, and develops communication and mechanisms, among others. Although the technology, institutions, and/or processes are different, CPM has many similarities in the management of projects in other domains and industries such as aerospace, pharmaceutical and software sectors. For instance, construction projects are required to reach an objective at a given schedule, budget and quality.
The Top 5
In the same way, CPM also benefits in utilizing applications and tools that automate administration tasks, simplify estimating and billing, facilitate planning and scheduling, manage workload assignments, centralize document management, and promote real-time communication and issues resolution. Below are five PM software that are valuable in completing construction projects.
Construction Project Management Solution Checklist
Buying new project management software is not as easy as walking into a supermarket and picking a product. You need a checklist to guide you. Besides you must have a good reason to purchase such an expensive system for a project. Here are determinants:
- Will the system make work easier?
- Will the platform help with real-time project management?
- Is the software transparent?
- Will the software improve tracking and accountability?
- Is the software reputable for accuracy?
- Can the software be integrated with other products?
- Does the software offer solution to industry problems?
- Does the software offer modernization for my business or project?
- How many licenses and fees will be required in running the software?
- What’s the developer’s reputation in the market?
- Does the provider offer technical support for the system?
- Is training offered by the provider?
- Is the software intended to be used on multiple computers?
- Can the system be mobile accessed?
- Will a merger transition compromise my data security?
- Do you need a web based or on-site solution?
Each question on the checklist is crucial to finding your dream project management tool for the project ahead.
Different groups in the construction industry predict a positive growth in 2018, especially in residential and commercial construction, as national and overall world economy gets better. For companies in this particular industry, it is great news for business. It is also high time to review if present PM practices, applications and tools are ready to handle the new projects slated to come along.