Taming time ‚Äì one of the three primary project constraints, is a skill which every one of us wishes we could excel in. Once ‚Äòtime management’ is addressed we can say that we are in a better position to control the rest of the project dependencies. This article tries to capture some of the winning steps that project managers can take to be better managers and lead the project towards success.
Time management tips for project managers:
- Identify the activities which support deliverables. Without understanding the project deliverables, it is next to impossible to deliver the project successfully. Whether the project is big or small, it is important to follow the project best practices and thus the Activity Definition as given in the PMBOK guide.
- Interact closely and involve the business experts or the SME’s from the very beginning. This is even truer in the case of project reviews. If the project involves any major complexity such as a new client or working on new technologies, then the activity dependency is even higher. Once again PMBOK guide has a proven process for activity sequencing which can be used for better time management.
- If the project has been outsourced to an external vendor or vendors as the case maybe, there should be absolute transparency on the project metrics, schedules, resources and even the WBS. The vendor(s) estimates should be accessible to the business owners.
- Project team involvement from day one is vital. Though when we think about this, it might sound too basic, more often than not, this is one fact that is conveniently forgotten. The team should be an integral part of the product from the very beginning ‚Äì from working on the estimates to project schedule, etc. This has been stressed many times in PMBOK guide and by all Agile Methodology adherents.
- Complete list of the project activities. It might not be possible to list down all the activities in the initial phase of the project. But once the planning phase starts, this is no longer acceptable. It is important to list the activities and plan them so as to be on top of the project. If this is not done as accurately as possible there is strong possibility that the project would not run as schedule. Going through the PMBOK Guide Schedule Development would be a good idea.
Following these simple but important steps would help you in better project time management and thereby mean higher probability for project success.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated project management tools today. Use Docs, Reminders, Goals, Calendars, Chat, scheduling, assigned comments, custom views, & more with this all-in-one project management tool.
Used by 800,000+ teams in companies like Airbnb, Google, and Uber, it brings all of your projects into a single app! Built for teams of all sizes and industries, Our fully customizable & proprietary features make it a must-have for anyone wanting to keep project management in one place.
Tackle complex projects with Wrike’s award-winning project management software. Break projects into simple steps, assign tasks to team members, and visualize progress with Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendars. Manage resource allocation and forecasting with software that’s easy to launch. Automation and AI features strip away time-consuming admin tasks so you can do the best work of your life. Streamline your practices, align your team, and ensure you hit deadlines and stay on budget.