The Project Executive would normally come from the senior management of the customer organisation – that is the organisation who are to directly use the output of the project – the new object, system, process or structure. The Executive has ultimate responsibility for the project and ‘owns’ the Business Case throughout the life of the project. He or she has the following specific responsibilities:
- Oversee the development of the Project Brief and Business Case
- Authorise expenditure levels, set stage tolerances and ensure funding for agreed expenditure is available
- Authorise or reject proposed changes to cost or timescale beyond tolerance levels and all proposed changes to scope, checking for possible effects on the Business Case
- Ensure Risks and Issues are being tracked and mitigated/resolved
- Liaise with Programme or Corporate Management on progress
- Organise and chair meetings of the Project Board
- Authorise the project’s continuance or early closure at stage review meetings of the Project Board
- Authorise formal closure of the project
- Hold a Post-Project to ensure benefits are realised
JISC infoNet aims to be the UK’s leading advisory service for managers in the post-compulsory education sector promoting the effective strategic planning, implementation and management of information and learning technology.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated project management tools today. Use Docs, Reminders, Goals, Calendars, Chat, scheduling, assigned comments, custom views, & more with this all-in-one project management tool.
Used by 800,000+ teams in companies like Airbnb, Google, and Uber, it brings all of your projects into a single app! Built for teams of all sizes and industries, Our fully customizable & proprietary features make it a must-have for anyone wanting to keep project management in one place.
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.
Tackle complex projects with Wrike’s award-winning project management software. Break projects into simple steps, assign tasks to team members, and visualize progress with Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendars. Manage resource allocation and forecasting with software that’s easy to launch. Automation and AI features strip away time-consuming admin tasks so you can do the best work of your life. Streamline your practices, align your team, and ensure you hit deadlines and stay on budget.