The goals of an Enterprise Project Management Office (PMO) are to:
- Create and maintain a consistent world class project management methodology and process for all project management engagements across the company
- Train, certify if possible, coach, and mentor project managers in not only project management, but also project delivery to ensure skill mastery and consistency in planning and execution
- Manage corporate and project priorities matching business goals with appropriate technology solutions and provide increased resource utilization across the organization matching skills to project needs
- Provide centralized control, coordination, and reporting of scope, change, cost, risk, and quality across all projects
- Increase collaboration across projects
- Provide increased Client Satisfaction with project-related work through increased communications, collaboration, training, and awareness
- Reduce time to market by providing better coordination and the right resources with the right skills for the projects
- Reduce project costs because common tasks and redundant projects could be eliminated or managed at the central level
- Reduce corporate project risk
John F. Filicetti, PMP, MBA John Filicetti is a Sr. Sales Engineer/PM-PMO-PPM Consultant with a great depth of experience and expertise in enterprise project management, project management methodologies, Project Portfolio Management (PPM), Project Management Offices (PMOs), Governance, process consulting, and business management. John has directed and managed project management teams, created and implemented methodologies and practices, provided project management consulting, created and directed PMOs, and created consulting and professional services in such areas as project portfolio management, Governance, business process re-engineering, network systems integration, application development, infrastructure, and complex environments. John has enjoyed many years as PMO Director for large corporations in the Seattle area and leads the PMO Roundtable discussion group and forum.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
Tackle complex projects with Wrike’s award-winning project management software. Break projects into simple steps, assign tasks to team members, and visualize progress with Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendars. Manage resource allocation and forecasting with software that’s easy to launch. Automation and AI features strip away time-consuming admin tasks so you can do the best work of your life. Streamline your practices, align your team, and ensure you hit deadlines and stay on budget.
Smartsheet is an online work execution platform empowering organizations of all sizes to plan, manage, automate, and report on work. Over 80,000 brands rely on Smartsheet for project and work management.
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.