The job description of SEO consultants has been the same throughout the years. With the constant change in the digital world, SEO strategists are aiming to adapt to the ever-changing digital marketing scene and adopt innovations. Due to recent changes in Google’s search algorithms, SEO now faces the challenge of adjusting to these new changes.
How do big players in the SEO industry manage to maintain their spot at the top of the leaderboard? The answer lies in proper project management. Projects nowadays have grown more sophisticated and more complex and it presents an ever-present challenge to the project management team.
To become a successful project manager, read on to learn more about SEO and how they execute their process flow.
The SEO Cycle
Successful projects don’t just appear overnight. It is a product of meticulous teamwork looking to achieve a particular set of goals and reach a certain level of success criteria. Project management involves five steps: initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing. In the SEO process, it includes the following steps:
- Web site evaluation. The SEO evaluates the site’s statistics. These statistics include drive traffic, website reputation, and search engine friendliness to name a few.
- Client specifications. As we all know, we must always cater to what our customers want. What do they want to achieve? Do they want to increase their search engine rankings? Do they want to gain more subscribers? After asking these questions, you can efficiently implement a tailor fit strategy for their company.
- Keyword research. Look your keywords up on the internet and see if you can find other related keywords you think may help bolster the site traffic. Research the main keyword(s) using the right tools and analytics such as Google Keyword Planner and SEMrush.
- Keyword integration. In this step, you will now integrate the list of approved keywords into the site’s content. Keyword integration is done through content writing and weaving the keywords in lines of text.
- On-page SEO. Website optimization includes customizing a website to make it search engine friendly. You can do this by incorporating keywords, meta tags, and meta descriptions into the pages.
- Link building. One way to expand a brand’s awareness is through building a network of connections, and in this case, through link building with quality link associates.
- Optimization. Monitor your site as search engines are always changing and updating their guidelines and metric. Make sure you don’t get left behind!
- Ranking and traffic analysis. Track your website’s progress and drive traffic. With the ever-changing search engine protocols, it is essential to audit the site’s traffic and ranking results constantly.
Traits You Need to Take After SEO Project Management
One of the major obstacles that hinder the success of a company project is the lack of proper project management skills. Some of these skills may seem like common sense. But these are, in fact, the most commonly dismissed. Take a look at the five traits you need to pick up from SEO when it come to project management.
- Client Satisfaction is Always Prioritized
The SEO industry is a tough one, and customer reviews are the top sources for new client referrals. In this study, a whopping 90% of customers turn to online reviews before negotiating with a business. And in an industry where social proof can make or break an establishment, customer satisfaction is on top of the list of priorities.
As Duane Forrester, Bing’s Senior Manager, says, “Social media is about connecting with customers in a meaningful way – a way the client determines is meaningful. ” Know the needs of your clientele and fulfill them. As an SEO, your job is to make your client happy and provide the best service you can offer.
- Full Utilization of Tools At Your Disposal
Unique tools and tactics lie behind every successful organization to help them achieve their goals. SEO firms invest in specialized software and applications to help them accomplish their client’s requests and to maintain a streamlined project management process.
In working with SEO, online resources are your best friend. Without the proper knowledge on how to use these tools, you will most likely fail. And in lucrative SEO agencies, they know how to use the means they have at their disposal.
- Flexibility and Adaptability is Constant
Projects won’t always go according to plan. And in times of crisis, a good project manager should always have a contingency plan in hand. Learn from SEOs and monitor your projects constantly and carefully.
According to Ascend2, 40% of marketers say the most challenging obstacle to search engine optimization success is changing search algorithms. Take note of the changes that might detriment your client’s business and adapt new strategies to avoid mishaps. Keep a good head and think on your feet.
- Communication is Integral
SEO relies heavily on communication, from your clients down to your staff. It is important to be able to establish a good relationship with your clients. By establishing good relationships, you can understand your client’s needs better and meet their expectations. Rapport and camaraderie among your team will help you work towards your goals more promptly.
- Project Management is Inherent in SEO
The success of your SEO doesn’t only lie in your ability to execute different tactics. SEO Project management involves careful planning, initiation, and execution of a project. Project management is an important skill that you should embed in the planning behind every organization. As a manager, you are expected to juggle these responsibilities effortlessly.
The emergence of SEO in digital advertising has been steadily rising in the past years. Nevertheless, SEO remains a unique and fluctuating discipline. It requires a particular set of project management skills. Know your skills and resources and utilize them well.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated project management tools today. Use Docs, Reminders, Goals, Calendars, Chat, scheduling, assigned comments, custom views, & more with this all-in-one project management tool.
Used by 800,000+ teams in companies like Airbnb, Google, and Uber, it brings all of your projects into a single app! Built for teams of all sizes and industries, Our fully customizable & proprietary features make it a must-have for anyone wanting to keep project management in one place.