How IoT will Change Project Management
Technology is advancing at a lightning speed. The changes are not only fast but radical as well. They are in fact becoming a necessity rather than a luxury. People all over the world are using the internet for one purpose or the other. And now its usage and scale have increased so much that even a day without internet is unfathomable.
What is IoT?
IoT or the Internet of Things is the next big step in the technological advancement of mankind. Speaking in layman terms, IoT is the idea of fundamentally linking any gadget that has an on and off switch to either the internet, to each other or a combination thereof.
Essentially speaking, IoT is an architectural framework which is embedded with sensors, programming, requisite hardware etc. This permits the connected devices to collate and exchange information and thereby making them responsive. It is a combination of physical and virtual structures between the real world appliances and the computer systems over the active network infrastructure.
In short, IoT allows remote controlling of objects and devices across the prevalent infrastructure of networks.
IoT and Changing Face of Project Management
Today, Internet of Things might just be an evolving concept that is still in its developmental stage and hence has no major impact on the way projects are handled. But things will soon have to change because it is believed that IoT will grow to 50 billion devices by 2020, which is not too far away in the future. So let us study how it will change the face of Project Management.
- Team Collaboration ‚Äìtoday when a new app is being developed or changes are being made to existing software the IT department usually isolates the said product from the end user. The modifications are then extensively tested in artificial conditions before they are plugged back in the main system. With IoT, this isolation will not be possible anymore. Any and all implementations and modifications will happen on the live platform with increased and constant connectivity with all the team members dispersed across locations. The effectiveness of communication will drastically increase as automatic transfer of data takes place.
- Increase In Project Timelines ‚Äì traditionally a project would be considered complete on its implementation. But with the introduction of IoT, the projects will have longer tails. This is because plans will have to be made for unexpected failures. As such, constant support will have to be provided to the production and operations departments at all times.
- Increase Data Efficiency ‚Äì IoT brings about automatic communication of data. Now, it is easier to get every relevant piece of information at all times irrespective of time and distance. This, in turn, makes way for relatively straightforward, automatic measurement and analysis of data. Decisions made on this basis will be more accurate and successful as they are supported by empirical data.
- Enhanced Security and Policy Planning ‚Äì as more and more data flows through private and public channels, maintaining and guarantying its security becomes of utmost importance. Therefore, the legal department along with the policy and compliance department will have to be actively involved in policy development and execution from the very beginning of the project itself. At present, these departments become a part of the project at the very end. Hence, changes will have to be made towards fast track compliance to policies and security issues.
- New Standards ‚Äì IoT will ensure that there is no need to collect common data repetitively. But on hindsight, this will mean setting up of new standards so that data becomes interoperable or comprehensible to all organizations irrespective of the analytical tools that they are using for exchanging data. The project management teams will, therefore, have to be flexible and open to changes so that better and improved standards can be developed.
With IoT coming into the picture there is going to be a dramatic change in the handling of projects. This is because everything is now going to be enabled with the internet. As a direct result, the management will now be required to have a better hold on research and development which, as it is, can be quite vague and imprecise if not handled properly.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following: