Just like technical development teams use software tools to help plan, organize, and track complicated tasks and processes, marketing teams can also benefit from software support.
Marketing project management software aids marketers by strategically planning, executing, tracking, and modifying marketing campaign details digitally and on demand. Doing more in less time benefits any business professional and project team.
More and more, project management software is becoming a fixture for marketing industry professionals who want to guarantee the best results from increasingly complex and targeted marketing campaigns.
If project management is new to your marketing group, there are great options available to quickly get you transitioning from outdated practices to a smoothly run department. Spend your time being creative and coming up with ground-breaking campaigns, and leave the boring and manual details for a smart software tool to handle.
How PM Software is Used for Marketing Campaigns
Similar to basic project management support, marketing teams that use tool support tend to have more successful outcomes. Marketing managers are adopting software from the onset of spelling out why a campaign is necessary and researching best practices to execute it.
They are using it to organize people and resources to get a campaign off the ground and establish and share details on deadlines and deliverables. Campaign management involves five steps that professionals are using marketing PM software to manage: Planning, organizing, executing, controlling, and delivering.
Tips for Selecting Marketing PM Software
There are many good options to choose from, and finding the best software for your marketing team involves just a few steps to narrow down the list.
- Outline Your Wants and Requirements: Understanding what you want to do and comparing it to what you need to do will get you a short list of nice-to-haves and must-haves to prioritize.
- Set a Budget: Always a driver of what you ultimately can do, determine what your budget is and decide if it makes sense to go with a free or a tiered paid plan to get going. You can always upgrade or downgrade once you try a system out for some time.
- Choose Features: Work it out as a team, and decide what features are most important and what you can do without for now or may not use at all. Feature lists are simple to research and find options that offer exactly what you are looking for.
- Determine User Base: Think about everyone who will be using the tool, including internal and external users such as clients and vendors. You may need a tool that allows admin ability for different types of users to lock down specific functions for certain subsets of users.
- Research Options: Once you have solidified your needs, request suggestions from colleagues, search engines, trade publications, and specialty reviews to focus on the best choices to try out.
- Demo and Test: Most software companies offer free trials with limited or full capability to increase the odds that you will use their product. Try out your top few choices and review the results before committing financially to a paid subscription plan.
Benefits of Using Marketing PM Software
- Get more done faster by eliminating email chains and missed deadlines committed to in meetings, undocumented conversations, and over instant messages.
- Automate and schedule campaigns to hit exactly when they will achieve the best results.
- Cover all the bases every step of the way from ideation to execution by documenting details like a project manager would but for marketing efforts.
- Create an efficient and centralized workflow to get from A to Z for everything you need to accomplish in the marketing department.
- Improve planning and scheduling of key campaign pieces and build on that knowledge for next time.
- Track and analyze results of campaigns to modify what works best for future efforts.
Ensuring a solid process, an engaged project team, and high-quality marketing campaigns requires a dedicated tool to make it all happen. There’s a reason why successful brands and agencies rely on marketing project management software to execute their carefully crafted marketing campaigns to eager customers.