As we already know that PRINCE2 (Projects IN Controlled Environment) is a project management methodology accepted in more than 150 countries across the world. It is a generalised project management methodology that can be applied to project of any type and size irrespective of the industry.
There are two types of courses offered by institutes offering project management courses:
- PRINCE2 Foundation: Trainees are trained with the basics of PRINCE2. Trainees learn about 7 principles, 7 themes and 7 processes of PRINC2 methodology. PRINCE2 Foundation exam is conducted to know if the candidate is aware of all basics of PRINCE2. It is an exam in which the candidate has to score minimum of 35 marks out of 70.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner: Trainees learn how to work on a real time project. They are provided with a special training for applying PRINCE2 principles, themes and processes on a project. In PRINCE2 practitioner exam, it is tested if the candidate is capable of applying these concepts on a real-time project. It is an exam with total 80 marks. The candidate has to score at least 55% marks for PRINCE2 practitioner certification.
Processes: 7 processes of PRINCE2 describe responsibilities. In simple words- these process tell who will do what and when. 7 processes of PRINCE2 are:
- Starting up a project
- Initialisation of a project
- Direction of a project
- Controlling a stage
- Management of product delivery
- Management of stage boundaries
- Closures of a project
Themes: 7 themes of PRINCE2 define those areas of project management needed to be addressed continuously till the closure of the project. Following are the 7 themes defined in PRINCE2:
- Business case: Before starting any project, it is essential to know that if the project feasible, desirable and achievable.
- Organisation: In organisation, accountabilities and responsibilities are defined.
- Quality: The objective of this theme is to ensure that the project meets all its requirements without any issue.
- Risks: The objective of this theme is to focus on identifying, assessing and controlling risks.
- Plan: It is the most crucial theme of PRINCE2 methodology. It describes what to do and how to do to achieve the goal of the project. It describes what activities to be performed, when to be perform and by whom to be performed.
- Change: A client may anytime ask to add or remove a project requirement. This theme describes efficient and reliable change management.
- Progress: Objective of this theme is to ensure that project is being developed according to the plan.
Principles: 7 PRINCE2 principles serve the purpose of a framework for the efficient project management practice. 7 PRINC2 principles consist of:
- Business justification
- Roles and responsibilities
- Learn from experience
- Manage by exceptions
- Manage by stages
- Tailor to suite the environment
- Focus on product
Featured Partners: Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.
Tackle complex projects with Wrike’s award-winning project management software. Break projects into simple steps, assign tasks to team members, and visualize progress with Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendars. Manage resource allocation and forecasting with software that’s easy to launch. Automation and AI features strip away time-consuming admin tasks so you can do the best work of your life. Streamline your practices, align your team, and ensure you hit deadlines and stay on budget.
Smartsheet is an online work execution platform empowering organizations of all sizes to plan, manage, automate, and report on work. Over 80,000 brands rely on Smartsheet for project and work management.