1. Outside the OfficeA different way to setup an interview is to mimic the interactions that will occur during the project. For example, some team members on the project will only interact virtually as they are located around the world. Completing the interview in the communication environment that will be used during the project is a good way to sense of how the candidate will perform. You will quickly understand how effectively they will communicate to other team members.
2. Complete Test TaskRegarding the above real world interviewing, consider posing a small test for the candidate to perform. The process of how they find a solution is just as important as the solution itself. Discovering what steps they took to complete the task can give you a window into how they approach problem solving.
3. Learn and RetainAsking questions that demonstrates the candidate’s ability to quickly process and retain new information is important. Ask them to provide examples where they successfully accomplish this skill set in the past. Learning quickly is a good skill set asset as there are typically unexpected problems that require creative thinking skills to solve it.
4. Attitude towards WorkFinding out what motivates a job candidate is necessary to understand how they will perform. You might discover that this person has a passion for an aspect of the project which means they will complete the tasks with excellence. Knowing that a candidate has a positive attitude towards completing top quality work can help lift the spirit of the whole team during more trying times of the project.
5. Complimentary SkillsIf you are going to be working directly in the hiring process make sure your candidates compliment your skill set. You don’t necessarily want someone that thinks the way you do. Self evaluate and discover your weak points. For the best group dynamic, make sure that your prospective team complements one another’s strengths and weaknesses.
ConclusionThe hiring process will always be complicated but it doesn’t have to be difficult. By finding ways to sort out different personality types and skill sets, an accurate picture can emerge for each candidate. Using this information will allow you to make a more informed decision and lead to a successful project.
Featured Partners: Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following: