Best Microsoft Project Alternatives & Competitors for 2022
Microsoft Project is one of the best-selling desktop products from Microsoft, with little competition during the early years of its launch. The software remained a desktop, on-premise solution until recently, and now offers several cloud-based solutions.
Users looking for Microsoft Project alternatives will be happy to know that many options are available today.
Top 3 Software Alternatives to Microsoft Project Online
Users who want a cloud solution for managing a variety of projects in a more flexible way, or need a specialized tool to help streamline a particular workflow — with support for best industry practices — can check our top three recommendations.
Microsoft Project Alternatives: What to Look for
Microsoft Project is part of the Microsoft 365 suite of productivity tools. But if users need an alternative to Microsoft Project, they should check if essential features are present — so they can manage their projects and teams with better visibility and control.
- Cloud-based deployment for wider accessibility
- Simple and scalable pricing plans
- Centralized project view and easy navigation
- Intuitive interface for quickly adding and editing items
- Gantt chart view and other work views
- Support for milestones and task dependencies
- Dynamic scheduling with automated date adjustments
- Project task management
- Resource management
- Timesheet features
- Customization and automation
- Built-in collaboration, like team communication and co-authoring
- Mobile access
- Integration to other applications and services
Best Microsoft Project Alternatives
Microsoft Project provides users a project management solution. At the same time, more solutions have become available, offering similar features and additional functionality that make them attractive Microsoft Project alternatives.
monday.com is a flexible online work management system that provides effective project management capabilities. It is a highly visual, customizable, and interactive platform that users can consider as an alternative to MS Project. The software is applicable to different workflows including project planning, tracking, and managing from initiation to closing.
monday.com includes tools for team collaboration, so everyone gets the same information and works toward the same goal. It has intuitive project dashboards to help analyze progress, custom workflows for different methodologies, and resource workload to manage capacity. Other features include integrations, project management templates, and mobile apps.
- Visual task prioritization and project scheduling
- Gantt chart with critical path
- Customization features
- Needs better administration of permission levels
- Users want more controls on notifications
Asana is online work and project management software that enables team collaboration. It includes tools to build project plans with several work views like list, timeline, and board views. Marketing, sales, project, and operations teams apply the software to various workflows for planning, tracking, and managing different initiatives.
The Asana timeline view lets users connect tasks and deadlines to quickly identify problems and fix dependency issues. It also has features to prioritize requests, automate work, manage feedback and approvals, allow mobile access, and integrate with other apps. It has a free plan for small teams, and scalable paid plans with more advanced features.
- Easy task management, tracking, and collaboration
- Built-in communication tools
- Good visual representation of information
- Can only assign a single person as responsible for a task
- Time tracking is only available through integration with other apps
Smartsheet work collaboration software provides teams a collaborative workspace and a familiar spreadsheet-like interface. Several premium plans offer teams different sets of features and limits to match their project management needs. Users can collaborate, track, manage, and execute work in real time on the same platform. It also supports integrations, add-ons, and a no-code platform for building custom solutions.
Smartsheet features include a Gantt chart with baselining, dependency, and critical path tools. It also has multiple work views, calendars, dashboards, reports, and automation. Users can collaborate over content with markup tools, in conversations within rows and sheets, or through email integration.
- Useful Gantt charts for planning, scheduling, and task listing
- Customizable sheets
- Document collaboration
- Requires time for familiarization
- Needs more visual communication tools
Zoho Projects online project management software is a cloud-based solution that enables users to plan and track projects with team collaboration tools. The PM tool is versatile for enterprise applications, hybrid project management, and industry-specific use cases.
Zoho Projects offers a free plan for three users and paid plans with higher limits and advanced features. Features include Project Gantt charts, task dependency, multiple work views, reminders, customizations, chat, and mobile apps, among others.
- Easy to create and assign tasks
- Support for task dependency
- Time tracking capability
- No ready-made project templates
- Utilization chart needs better presentation
Ready to Try a Microsoft Project Alternative?
Microsoft Project remains dependable software, offering new collaboration features as it integrates to other Microsoft products. For teams and small businesses looking for the best MS Project alternative, we hope our list can point you in the right direction.