|This article is supported by AtTask, online project management software. Request a Trial. Get a 360-degree view of all workplace activities, helping both team members and management to better understand and organize their work.|
If you have worked on big projects, you would know that the original size of the project during the requirement stage is not the same as the one you end up with at the time of completion. The project’s complexity grows over time due to the scope creep that can cause delays and cost-overruns. It is important that the project manager puts his/her foot down to avoid the scope creeps that can put the project’s completion in danger. In this post, I will cover the ways to avoid the creep.
What causes scope creep?
One or more of the following factors leads to new features creeping up.
- Lack of proper scope documentation.
- Lack of sufficient understanding by the customer before the start of the project.
- Lack of sufficient control exerted by the project manager.
- Improper communication among the stakeholders.
- Gold plating ‚Äì the phenomenon where the project members continue to work on new features of the project that is not there in the original scope, in the assumption that the customer will be delighted by these new features.
How to fight the scope creep?
- Flesh out the complete scope before the start of the project and get a signoff from all the major stakeholders. This should be considered as a binding contract that all stakeholders must be asked to adhere.
- Divide the project into multiple milestones and create tasks to be completed in each of the milestones. Also spell out the deliverables at the end of each major and minor milestones. At the end of the milestone validate if the progress is per your original plan.
- Use tools such as the RACI matrix and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for visually representing the project tasks. This helps your stakeholders to stay in the same page.
- Keep a track of your project and make sure all the individual tasks are a part of the scope.
- Constantly communicate with the stakeholders and ascertain the progress of the tasks they are doing.
- When a new task that is not within the scope comes up, calculate the cost and inform all the stakeholders of the further increase in cost due to the extra task. If the customer asks for it, he/she should be reminded of a possibility of an upward revision in the original cost due to the task.
- Fight the tendency to gold plating. Make your developers understand the counter-productivity of the tactic.
Finally, learn to live with it. Even with the best of the intentions and planning, sometimes scope creep happens. When that happens and there are valid reasons behind it, then accept it, without being too inflexible. Create your project plan with room for 10-20% additional delays due to scope creeps, as no complex project can ever be planned to 100% perfection.
Recommended Project Management Software
If you’re interested in learning more about top rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
monday.com Work OS is the project management software that helps you and your team plan, execute, and track projects and workflows in one collaborative space. Manage everything from simple to complex projects more efficiently with the help of visual boards, 200+ ready-made templates, clever no-code automations, and easy integrations. In addition, custom dashboards simplify reporting, so you can evaluate your progress and make data-driven decisions.
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated project management tools today. Use Docs, Reminders, Goals, Calendars, Chat, scheduling, assigned comments, custom views, & more with this all-in-one project management tool.
Used by 800,000+ teams in companies like Airbnb, Google, and Uber, it brings all of your projects into a single app! Built for teams of all sizes and industries, Our fully customizable & proprietary features make it a must-have for anyone wanting to keep project management in one place.
Tackle complex projects with Wrike’s award-winning project management software. Break projects into simple steps, assign tasks to team members, and visualize progress with Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendars. Manage resource allocation and forecasting with software that’s easy to launch. Automation and AI features strip away time-consuming admin tasks so you can do the best work of your life. Streamline your practices, align your team, and ensure you hit deadlines and stay on budget.